Wednesday, August 1, 2012

T'ai Chi? Yes Please!

When I think of T'ai Chi, the obvious reference point for me is what I’ve seen people doing in Lake Eola park every Sunday morning.  A small group of individuals slowly practicing graceful movements together in silence with a visible peace around them.  I've often heard it described as a “slow-motion karate” or a graceful dance.  So in the spirit of "trying new things", I decided to start this new challenge off by unlocking energy, focusing my mind and harmonizing my internal organs with a T'ai Chi class.  

Not fully knowing what to expect (and not wanting to commit to more than an hour), I opted for an A.M. T'ai Chi class that focused on three movement segments: Gathering Chi in Six Directions (which recharges your spirit with fresh energy), Eight Pieces of Brocade (which does all sorts of wonderful things internally such a releases toxins), and Open Heart (which unlocks energy and soothes emotions).  The challenge in learning t'ai chi for the first time is usually all about mindset.  Maybe because I practice yoga and meditate each morning, this wasn't a problem for me.  Actually, my mind seemed to clear quickly and I felt an internal quiet that has been lacking from my yoga practice lately.  

I would describe t'ai chi as a moving form of yoga and meditation combined with a few graceful moves adopted from the martial arts family.  I liked it, though I can see my self of ten years ago not having the focus or attention span to really appreciate such a meditative physical exercise.  Maybe that's something I've learned with age… or through experience? Halfway through the practice my hands became to feel really warm and a little heavy.  I was surprised by some of the movements; that while slow and graceful they really provided a challenge for my muscles (I could "feel the burn").  I can see how this practice provides a wonderful form of overall relaxation and balance.  Several hours later I still feel centered and balanced.  Everything just feels good.  I might try to incorporate a little T'ai Chi into my weekly schedule… who knows I might even take a longer class.  Oh.. by the way.. did you know T'ai Chi Ch'uan (the full Chinese phrase) translates to "Supreme Ultimate Fist"?  Learn something new everyday! Oh but wait… that's the goal isn't it?! - Christina

0 comments:

Post a Comment