Monday, August 6, 2012

Pinterest Potential

I know most of America is addicted to website Pinterest but unlike most of those individuals, I don't waste time pinning photos of foods I'll never cook, clothes I'll never buy or crafts I'll never make.  In fact, until recently I think my "boards" have remained empty since I created my account just after the site launched.  I just don't have time for all that wishful daydreaming of stuff that is irrelevant to my daily life.  At least that's been my impression of Pinterest.  I should clarify in stating that after creating my account (again back when the site launched - so it's been a while), I spent maybe 20 minutes on the site and quickly grew bored with it.  Back then it was a few women pinning inspirational quotes and pretty pictures.  Over the past year I've seen lots of friends post pictures of pins they "aspired to create one day"yet never did.  So I'm a little jaded... I'll admit.  So why am I talking about Pinterest then?  

Well... let me back up and explain that I've been looking for a yoga mat strap for a couple months now.  I have a great sticky mat that I paid really good money (for teaching) and I want a basic carrying strap that is black and simple.  But the few I've found in stores costs close to $20+ and that just seems high to me.  It's a simple strap that wraps around the yoga mat.  Really?  In comes Pinterest.  Last week I thought to myself... "I wonder if I can find directions on how to MAKE one myself on Pinterest?"... so I logged into my old account (lucky I remembered the original password) and started searching.  After a few moments I found what I was looking for.  A photo that took me to a site with step-by-step instructions on making my very own yoga mat.  Easy enough.  So after a quick trip to JoAnn Fabrics and armed with a couple of supplies I went to work. Of course I'm not one to follow directions very closely so I sorta did my own thing, but the original "pin" got me started in the right direction.  And guess what?!  $4 later I have my very own (and much better in my humble opinion) black yoga strap.  That $16 I saved will be invested in my next Pinterest craft project I feel coming on.  There are a few fun things I've since "pinned" to my DIY Craft board I recently created.  Don't expect to see me logged in scouring the site very often... but I think Pinterest might just have some potential after all.  It did save me $16... which can also get me a really nice bottle of wine.  :)  ~ Christina
Closeup of the "embellishment" on the strap
Tada!  My yoga mat in the new carrying strap.

0 comments:

Post a Comment