Saturday, August 4, 2012

Swagger?! What Swagger?

Growing up with an older sister who is extremely talented in all forms of dance leads many to assume that I too have rhythm.  Let's go ahead and clear that right up.  I don't. Well... don't get me wrong, I can certainly hold my own on a nightclub dance floor but you have to remember that those I'm in the midst of oftentimes have had their fair share of inebriating cocktails.  That leads to an entirely different experience of rhythm than say a Hip Hop class.  Well, this morning I decided to mix things up. Instead of immediately going to my trusty yoga mat, I took a Hip Hop Cardio Class. I always hear these classes taut that you can "dance off the pounds without realizing you're exercising" That sounds fun right?  And it was when I was actually catching on to the moves (which wasn't all that often).  I'm fairly certain I more often resembled a fish flailing it's fins on shore, desperately trying to get back to water.  "When you aren't sure of the moves, just bounce back and forth like this... show me your swagger!" yelled the instructor.  Swagger?  I'm a white girl from the deep south... I'm not sure I have swagger.  But I tried and I sweated and afterwards I felt like I had gotten a decent workout.  At least it was one more lesson in learning to not take myself too seriously.  Starting off my Saturday morning with some fresh, funky dance moves while toning and firming various body parts isn't a bad way to kick off the weekend.  Let's just not hold our breath in expecting anyone to see those moves repeated anytime soon. :) ~ Christina

0 comments:

Post a Comment