Sunday, August 26, 2012

Vegan Quesadillas

I'm no Betty Crocker... so when I cook, I have to have a recipe in front of me to at least provide the guidance.  Sure I'll veer off from time to time, adding a lil of this and a pinch of that... but quite often it's never as good as when I follow that recipe!  Well, I decided to experiment today.  Quesadillas are one of those foods that I had resigned myself to the believe I'd never eat again.  With a dairy allergy, and now being vegan... the likelihood of me coming across something that tasted as good as the original was scarce.  Or so I thought.  Today I got adventurous and decided to create something new.  It's raining outside so what else is there to do besides cleaning anyway?! (Actually there's a long list of things, but we'll ignore that for now)  I repeat.... I got adventurous in the kitchen.  And it paid off!! I made a vegan quesadilla that was out of this world and so unbelievably healthy that I still can't get over how GOOD it tasted!  So... what's in this self-created yummy quesadilla?!  Spinach (10 oz frozen), chickpeas (1 can drained and rinsed, white mushrooms (2 cups), seasonings (cumin, pepper, chili powder, salt to taste), vegetable stock (about 1/4 cup), water (1/2 cup), white onion (1/2 cup), garlic (3 cloves), salsa (1/2 cup) and vegan cheddar shreds (an entire package of Daiya).  Take the first seven ingredients and blend in the blender (add additional liquids as needed) and then transfer to a large mixing bowl and add the salsa and cheese.  Mix!  Next scoop some of the final mixture into half of a tortilla, fold and then place in skillet (that of course has been pre-heated and sprayed).  When ready, flip... until hot and golden brown.  Cut into three triangles and served with a dollop of vegan sour cream.  Spicy vegan goodness that is so delicious!  

I must say... I don't think I've ever had an "invention" of mine come out quite so good in the kitchen.  Of course you can use whatever ingredients you have to sub in... this is just what I had available.  I'm not a huge mushroom fan, but you can't even taste them in the mix... so that's an added bonus!  Eating healthier items I'd normally avoid. :)   ~ Christina

0 comments:

Post a Comment