Friday, August 10, 2012

Grouting = Success!


I consider myself pretty handy around the house. In fact, I'd much rather assemble a piece of furniture than mop the floor. My husband loves that I know what an allen wrench is and that a Phillips Head isn't actually the Head of a man named Phillip. It's one of the things I pride myself on- being self sufficient enough to just get it done! My most treasured "handywoman" memory- Drywall!  I waited 2 months for someone to do it- got frustrated one day, went to Home Depot, and without any directions figured out how to patch a 2x2 foot hole in the wall.


So when gutting and renovating our master bathroom became the project of the summer, I couldn't wait to Rip down the hideous flowered wall paper and remove the 40 year old yellow linoleum. My biggest excitement, however, lied in grouting the newly laid tile! For some reason- I was obsessed with learning how to do this minor job in the whole scheme of things. I literally stood around as my husband cut and laid the tile itself asking if I could grout yet. Looking back, I probably sounded like our children on a long road trip. "Can I grout yet? Can I grout yet?"

As soon as the tile glue was dry, I was ready with the plastic grout speader and a bucket of premixed Sandstone grout. After a few hiccups, my 48 square foot bathroom was officially grouted! The experience was like playing with clay. I actually kind of liked it and by the end was looking for more things I could grout.  I think I may just work on the kitchen floors next! Although I may need to keep the tips below in mind for next time.

Before you grout:

  • Do Not wear your wedding ring while grouting- the people at Kay will look at you funny when they have to clean in...trust me!
  • Don't prep the floor or grout while the spackle is drying, you are in for way more work
  • Don't wear your good clothes

Happy Grouting!
*Jasmine



0 comments:

Post a Comment