Sunday, August 12, 2012

Puppy Playgroup Play Date

Denver plum exhausted after his playgroup play date
Since adopting Denver, I've tried to keep him socialized.  That's what they say to do... keep him around lots of different types of people (kids, seniors, toddlers, teens, etc.), other dogs and cats and even walking around bikes, cars, busy highways, quiet roads, etc.  But he isn't often around the same animals or even all that many smaller dogs (dog parks tend to attract larger dogs as opposed to smaller ones... I'm guessing this is because they need to run around more so than the little ones).  So when I saw a MeetUp group specific for small dogs and puppies I decided to join.  I figured it would be good for me to make friends with other people who share similar experiences with me... plus it will give my sister Laura a break with the constant calls when something weird happens with Denver. :)

This morning was the first meet up since joining.  It was held at Barber Park's Small Dog area.  Barber Park is located just North-West of the Orlando International Airport off Gatlin Avenue between South Conway Road and 436. It has both Small Dog and Large Dog areas, a Water Fountain for Dogs/Humans, Dogipot for cleanup, and a few simple Agility Obstacles in each area.

First of all,  we had a great time and loved the park (it was our first time there). It's smaller so you can keep an eye on your dog better than some of the larger dog parks around town.  

Another thing I like about this park is that you can leave the dog park and take your pet for a walk.  This appears to be heavily used for basketball, soccer games, roller derby and there is an extensive kiddy play area.  All of this is surrounded by sidewalks.  And, there is even a lake at the back of the park.

There was about 15 dog owners and probably 25 doggies there this morning.  Denver seemed to enjoy himself... though it took him a while to get over the expectation that I had brought him a ball.  I purposely didn't so he would be forced to play with the other pups... and that's what he eventually did.  It was nice to not have to worry about him being trampled on by a larger dog.  I think we'll go back for the next one.  Maybe he'll even make a few friends.  Who knows... maybe I will too. :)        ~ Christina

Denver running back towards me
A small piece of beauty I found this morning :)
An impromptu shot of some of the playmates... I'm in the red. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment