Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Stargazing

I've always been fortunate enough to live in places with lots going on. Living five minutes away from the "Most Magical Place on Earth" for 12 years, I could look into the sky at 9:00 pm on any given night and see fireworks. Beautiful, sure, but it gets old. What I've always really wanted, was to look up into the night sky and see the stars. I mean- Really see the stars.

My house in Rhode Island turned out to be the perfect stargazing spot. Our friend Jay came over recently and as we sat in the yard with our citronella candles and Off bug spray at twilight, we discussed how the night before was supposed to be the perfect night to see Meteor Showers according to multiple news sites. As we were chatting, we saw a Satellite moving slowly across the sky and our excitement began. After a few mis-sightings (we do live near an airport so we determined satellites don't flash, as airplanes do), we eventually spotted 9 Satellites and 4 shooting stars!

Such a simple night turned out to be one of the most exciting of my life. I made my four wishes (one for each child) and eventually tore myself away around midnight for bed. I can't wait to do it again. If you have the opportunity to just sit outside, look up. You may just be surprised at how beautiful it might be. *Jasmine

1 comments:

Christina said...

So glad you got to do this! I tried both nights since it was the anniversary of my PawPaw's death... but being in the middle of downtown Orlando has its disadvantages (namely you can't see the stars or meteor showers!) Despite even keeping all blinds open all night (you know my condo is mostly ceiling to floor windows)... we saw nothing. :( Oh well... my PawPaw paid you a visit instead through twinkling lights! xoxo

Post a Comment