Monday, August 20, 2012

Barley Vegetable Stew (Vegan)


Since becoming vegan, I've found it easy to get stuck making the same "go to" recipes that I've learned 1.) taste good and 2.) are easy to make.  With this new challenge, I've tried to identify at least one new recipe each week to make.  This week I decided to peruse one of my new vegan cookbooks Vegan on the Cheap for something inexpensive and easy.  I stumbled upon "Barley Vegetable Stew."  Hmmm... I've never made a stew before.  Or barley.  OK, done.  A new recipe to try this weekend.  And the bonus is this one is made in a crockpot.  Easy enough.  Well... let's just say that I've messed up crockpot meals before (yes - its easier to do than one might think).

Barley is an inexpensive and delicious grain that I keep hearing more and more about so I was excited to make this hearty stew.  Last night I prepped all of the ingredients and started the crockpot, checking sporadically throughout the evening.  This morning I woke to the most amazing smell.... and this week's main meal.  Yum!  Then ironically as I sat down to update this blog, I came across an article that talks about Dr. Fuhrman's GBOMBS. "GBOMBS are the essential foods you should eat for a strong immune system," says Dr. Joel Fuhrman.  "Greens, Berries, Onions Mushrooms, Beans and Seeds.  Those who include these foods in their daily diet will be the ones with a disease fighting constitution."  Well guess what's in this stew?!  GBOMBS!  Well.... as if I didn't already love this dish, I now realize just how good it is for me.  Score!  Plus the dish comes out to <$1.00 per serving.  It just keeps getting better doesn't it!?  ~ Christina

0 comments:

Post a Comment