Sunday, February 17, 2013

Super Bowl XLVII Volunteer

This was a COOL experience!  I don't know if I really need to say much about it other than I'm so grateful I was selected to be a part of SuperBowl XLVII.

Six months prior, I hadn't even decided to move to Louisiana.  I happened to be visiting for my MawMaw's surprise 80th birthday party and learned through a friend that New Orleans was looking for volunteers.  I immediately got online and applied.  Within a couple of weeks, I got notification of my acceptance.  And truthfully, I figured I'd have to back out as the date got closer... that is... until I decided to move here.

And let's be honest.  When you're immersed in a move, a volunteer obligation is the last thing you think about.  At least for me.  So I kinda forgot about it. Until I started getting reminder emails.  Volunteer Orientation.  Volunteer Packet Pick Up.  Etc.  

So I went.  And had a BLAST! I volunteered two days... Friday and the day OF the Super Bowl.  Both times I helped in the little kids area of the NFL Experience (in the Convention Center).  SUCH. FUN. Because of my artistic skills, I got placed in the "How to Make an NFL Penalty Flag" area... AKA the Arts-n-Crafts Section. That was AWESOME by me!

I met lots of great people... even made a few new friends.  Got to teach THOUSANDS of kids (and adults) how to draw a fleur de lis. And even learned a few tackling moves.  Overall, it was a fantastic time.  So glad that I did it. BTW - did you know this was the 10th Super Bowl to be held in New Orleans?  Kinda cool to be a part of THAT. ~ Christina




0 comments:

Post a Comment