Wednesday, February 20, 2013

8K Run

I'm a runner. Not a very good one. Not a very fast one. Not even a very consistent one. Hell... Most days I'm lucky to get in two miles. I much prefer getting on my yoga mat and breathing through a few sun salutations. But I do love how I feel AFTER a run.

Several months back I decided to set the goal to run a 10K. I've completed dozens of 5K races before and while I'd love to check off "marathon" from my bucket list, this seemed much more reasonable. So I've been doing a 10k trainer program the past few months. Now the caveat is I prefer doing those training runs on the treadmill.... It's air conditioned and my hands don't feel so puffy. Plus I can watch TV. I know.... I didn't say I ran for the right reasons

This past week I decided to take my run outside. My training program still had me doing 40 minute runs but I thought, "I wonder if I can even complete 5 miles?" I should add here that an 8K is 5 miles (the level between a 5k and a 10K). I have never run 5 miles before. Ever. So when I set my Nike trainer on that distance, it spit out, "You are estimated to complete this fun in 1 hour and 26 minutes." Oh geez.... I thought, "I'm gonna be running for that long?!" But decided to give it a whirl.

After running the first mile I decided there was no way I'd be able to even walk the full 5 miles and was secretly plotting ways to justify ending my run early. But then something amazing happened... 2 miles came and went (not terribly smoothly but still...) and then I decided I'd complete 3.2 miles (or a 5K). Yes... That's what is do. Then I'd walk the rest of the way home. Then 3 miles went by and I thought... Well hell.. I'm over halfway through. I may as well do what I can and walk when I need to.

But I only needed to walk ever so often... to reboot my mind mostly. And all of a sudden when I checked my phone it showed I had half a mile left.... And 6 minutes until I hit the 1 hour mark. My competitive self took over and thought, "How awesome would it be if I ran this in one hour?!" So off I went, finding sixth wind to push me forward." But it was short lived. That last half mile was hard. My legs hurt. And I wanted to quit so bad. It's crazy how the mind carries complete conversations with itself during these moments. So I just resolved to doing my best regardless of my finishing time.

"You have reached 5 miles and 1 hour and 20 seconds." When I heard that I literally wanted to cry. I did it!!! I not only ran the whole 5 miles... But I did it in an hour! My average time was 12.24 (I think)... And as far as I'm concerned that rocks! Marathons typically require you to keep at LEAST a 13 minute mile to qualify, so my time rocked if you ask me.

Next up... I'm hoping to actually run an 8 K race. I wonder if running with others will produce a better time? I'm betting it does if I know my competitive self like I think I do.

And by the way... Yes I know 5 miles is nothing for 95% of my friends. But I'm not that girl. I was the girl at Field Day getting side cramps during the relay race because my breathing was all wrong. In my book.... This was an awesome achievement!
- Christina

0 comments:

Post a Comment