Sunday, September 2, 2012

Homemade Peanut Butter (Vegan/Gluten & Sugar Free)

Homemade Peanut Butter... I would never have thought to attempt this.  I don't know why, but I just wouldn't have.  This one is all thanks to a dear friend who told me about her successful attempt at doing this... and it sounded so simple and delicious I had to try it!  I PROMISE you won't be disappointed.  My version is vegan/sugar-free/gluten-free but you can certainly alter the recipe to make it your own.  I've provided the recipe and all of the steps below... so you HAVE to try it now. No excuses!

This makes about 1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter Ingredient: 16 ounces roasted (lightly salted) peanuts.  Really, that's all! Add peanuts to the canister of a food processor, process on high power until creamy and smooth, about 5 minutes, stopping to scrape down the sides of the canister if necessary (it wasn't for me and I have a really small processor).  Because my processor is tiny, I had to make mine in two batches (maybe a total of 10 minutes all together).

The peanuts will go through stages of: crushed, crushed into a fine powder, a paste, a thicker paste, a big “dough ball”, and then the ball will break down into runnier peanut butter. At the point the peanut butter is runny, continue processing for about 1 more minute, making sure the peanut butter is as smooth as desired. If you're a "crunchy" peanut butter fan you can stop before it's too smooth.

I recycled an old jar to store my peanut butter and keep it in the refrigerator. The refrigerator helps it to stay thicker. You can store the peanut butter at room temperature where it will keep for at least a week. Keep in mind this doesn't have preservatives in it so a week at room temperature and a month or so in the refrigerator.

Get creative! You can certainly do this with dry roasted, salted, unsalted, mixed nuts or spicey nuts.  Add salt to taste (I didn't add any). Add whatever you want to make it yours... chocolate, coffee grounds, spices, liquor.. the list goes on and on.

That's it!  Seriously.... soooo easy and healthy.  

This peanut butter has nothing but peanuts in it (that are slightly salted so there's salt too).  My old favorite peanut butter (Jiff Reduced Fat) has peanuts, corn syrup solids, soy protein, sugar, molasses, salt, fully hydrogenated vegetable oils, pridoxine hydrochloride, blah, blah, blah.  I can't even pronounce most of the remaining items (and there's like 10 more!).  No thank you.  I'm sold... homemade peanut butter for me. 

Thanks Gabbs!!  ~ Christina

0 comments:

Post a Comment