Tuesday, January 8, 2013

That's a Wrap! (Err... Scarf I Mean)

Over the past decade, knitting has quickly grown as a "microtrend" without discrimination.  If you haven't, be sure to check out the knitting section at Michael's (arts & crafts store).  There's a huge line of products geared directly to men!  

I attempted traditional knitting several years ago and failed miserably.  I kept messing up and couldn't seem to keep my stitches consistent or even.  So in one of my many purges, I opted to come to terms with the fact I just wasn't that cool.

And then the Christmas of 2012 happened.  After burning out within a 1 1/2 month period (hand painting 400+ ornaments), I wanted something creative but simple.  Something soothing.  And there it was.  The knitting loom.  Oh how fun! This crafty little tool helps ensure that my final product comes out like it's supposed to look... and with my handy 50% off coupon, it was only $5 (plus the yarn).  So off I went with supplies in hand with dreams of soft scarves floating overhead.

And so I began.  And continued.  And enjoyed it.  So much so that I began making plans for scarf #2 and #3 before #1 was even finished.  There is a meditative quality about the repetition.  And knowing that I am making something I will wear... it just made me feel good.

So today I completed it.  My very first, handmade, scarf.  You know me... I even through in a little bling.  Those are Swarovski crystals you see in the fringe.  

I wouldn't plan on selling these anytime soon... it's far form perfect.  But who cares?!  I love the large messy, chunky, soft scarves.  And this one is all mine.  Made by me FOR me.  Next up... a special little niece will be getting a handmade gift very soon. <3 ~ Christina

0 comments:

Post a Comment