Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Coyote Close-Up

Growing up in Louisiana, especially with lots of "country" cousins, I've heard all about coyotes.  Hell, I used to watch the roadrunner cartoons as a kid.  But I've never seen one up close.  Until a couple weeks ago.  My cousin and I were heading out to dinner, when I saw what looked like a large, and strange dog, near the side of the road.  Now, mind you, the "road" was pretty desolate and in my humble opinion we were still pretty much in BFE... but anyway... back to my story.  So he points and says "look there - that's a coyote!"  In my city girl excitement, I'm pretty certain I squealed or made some equally obnoxious noise and slammed on the brakes... and proceeded to spin the car around to go back for a closer look.  Oddly, the coyote was much closer to the road than normal (or so I was told) and out earlier than what is standard for them (it was about 8:30pm).  I drive right up near it, and to my adoration, it didn't more too much allowing for me to get a really close look.  They are similar in size to a small German Shepherd, weighing on average 25-40 pounds.  But I must say, I would have described it closer to a small deer weighing closer to 50 pounds... but hey, what do I know?!  It looked like it was part dog, part deer and part fox (that part mainly being its tail).  The eyes are yellow with black, round pupils and it runs with its tail down instead of horizontally like foxes, or up like wolves or dogs.

If my cousin wouldn't have been there, I might have tried to get out of the car to get an even closer look... but apparently that's not such a great idea.  Especially since there was a good chance it was sick or something (due to the unusual proximity it was keeping with us).  Overall it was a pretty cool experience. :) ~ Christina

0 comments:

Post a Comment