Wednesday, January 2, 2013

P.E.T.A Member (Card Carrying)

Since becoming vegan, I've make the commitment to educate myself on not just the health benefits but also everything else that goes with my choice.  There is so much that is impacted by choosing to go vegan (or adopting a plant-based diet).  One of which is learning how animals are treated, not only as a food source, but for clothing (fur, leather, etc.), animal testing, entertainment, etc.  It's like opening Pandora's box... the more you learn, the more you want to know.  And the more it changes you.  At least me.  With the end of 2012, I made the decision to become a member of PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals).  

You hear PETA and immediately envision someone throwing red paint on a celebrity wearing fur or protests outside of the Ringling Bros. Circus.  At least that used to be my first images when I heard the name.  But it really is an amazing organization.  Yes... there are some extremists out there. And sure... I still have a lot to learn and I doubt I'll be yielding a protest sign anytime soon (though you never know)... but their core beliefs align with mine.  I believe animals are sentient beings and deserve to experience the life God gave them.  Not have their feathers plucked off in order to make a comfy down blanket... or have their eyes poisoned as new mascaras are tested on them for side effects.... or have their baby taken away as soon as they are born, with it immediately being placed in a too-small crate in order to keep it small and weak for someone's tasty veal dish.  

Ugh... my stomach just hurts thinking about all that.  So... I'm officially a member of PETA.  And while I know that is completely opposite of who I was only 15 years ago, what can I say?  I've evolved.  I've changed.  For the better I think.  You might not agree... but that's ok. That's what keeps life interesting.  ~ Christina

0 comments:

Post a Comment