Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Avocado + Egg Yolk Hair Mask


I love trying new holistic and natural ways to do things.  Part of my Christmas present to myself was purchasing a couple of books that share beauty secrets from around the world using natural (and often times local) items in place of fancy chemical-ridden products.


Last night I tried an avocado and egg yolk hair mask.  The moisture rich properties in both are supposed to be amazing for your locks... and the avocado is supposed to help the frizzies we tend to get this time of year as the temps drop and heater use increases.

First - I struggled with using egg yolks since I'm vegan and don't believe in eating animals or animal products/by-products.  But I thought... what the hell.  My MawMaw had already purchased a dozen eggs so using one wouldn't hurt anything.  Moving forward, I'm not sure if I'd advocate doing it again for that simple reason.

Second - this makes a MESS!  I used one avocado and one egg yolk.  You want to really mash them up until its a creamy texture (the photo above is too chunky - lesson learned).  As I was applying it to my hair (thank goodness it's short now!), I made such a mess that Denver decided to steer clear of me until I was done.  After it was applied, I put on a thermal shower cap that helps to heat the hair using your own body heat.  It mostly keeps the mess at bay which is much appreciated.  

You sit for thirty minutes with this mask on your hair, and then rinse it out.  That was the fun part.  The smell of avocados in your shower is interesting enough, but seeing the water turn puke green for a good five minutes was a little gross.  

After I was showered, I found my hair still smelled like avocados which wasn't terrible but certainly wasn't the most pleasant of smells at bedtime. 

But alas... this morning... I could see a difference.   It was a rainy, cold day and my hair would normally have those little "baby hair" frizzies all over the place.  None.  It was smooth and glossy and just looked nice.

Have to say... I'll try this one again.  Maybe experiment with something other than egg yolk... but the avocado is a keeper.  ~ Christina

0 comments:

Post a Comment