Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Old Tyme Grocery


In 1982, Glenn Murphree purchased Olde Tyme Grocery.  When he first bought the store, it had aisles of can goods, produce, and five small carts.  Although it wasn’t fancy, there were three things Glenn liked: it had character, a deli case, and a low price tag.  On Glenn’s birthday, they agreed on a price and around 3 o’clock, Glenn ran to the bank for change and was open by 5 o’clock!

Growing up in New Orleans, Glenn loved a good poboy.  He did not know anything about going into business for himself, but he did know that he wanted to make the best poboys possible.  In the beginning, Glenn was the only employee and made approximately 10-15 poboys per day.  

When my dad showed up in town (surprise!) this past week, the first thing he wanted was a good poboy.  A good SHRIMP poboy.  His older sister, my Aunt Bettye, swore by this place so we decided to all meet up and grab a late lunch there.  I'd never been... and since I don't eat seafood any longer it didn't really matter to me.  I figured they wouldn't have much for me to eat anyway.  Overall it was a cute little dive.  Hugely popular with the college kids, that much was obvious.  Dad said the poboy was ok... not "the best" he's ever had but not bad.  They did agree to make me a veggie poboy (which basically means lettuce, tomato and pickles on french bread with a little mustard).  So that was nice.  It was a gorgeous day out, so the outdoor seating was delightful.  Plus we had a wonderful visit with my aunt and cousin.  Can't be that! ~ Christina

0 comments:

Post a Comment