Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Coconut Oil Biscuits (Vegan)


Let me preface this by saying I haven't had a biscuit in close to ten years.  Since being diagnosed with a dairy allergy, I've learned that most breakfast foods are no-no's. And since I typically juice first thing in the morning (or do smoothies), it's not something I think about or miss. 

But one of the vegan blogs that I follow, sent out a new recipe this past week for coconut oil biscuits... and it got me thinking.  Hmmmm... that sounds sorta yummy.  And as the days have gone on, I failed to delete the email. So this morning, while in downward dog pose, I started thinking about how good a warm biscuit would taste on this chilly morning.  The received recipe called for a few ingredients I had no interest in putting in my body (like vegan butter or shortening), so I decided to play around with a combination of three different recipes.  Yum.  That's all I have to say.

Coconut oil is no longer on the forbidden foods list, now that we understand how healthy extra virgin coconut oil really is. The richness and faint coconut flavor that the oil adds is wonderful, as well as being antibacterial and antiviral.  

These really are delish! Even my MawMaw (who cringes when she hears the word "vegan") ate one with me. :) It's the little things, isn't it?!

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil cold
  • 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
  • 11 tablespoons soymilk to make 3/4 cup

Preparation:
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  • In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, soda and salt.
  • Measure cold coconut oil and cut into the flour mixture with a pastry tool or two knives.
  • In a measuring cup, put the tablespoon of vinegar and add soymilk to make 3/4 cup.
  • Stir the wet mixture quickly into the dry, just until it holds together. Don’t overmix or knead. Scrape out onto a counter and pat into a rectangle 1-inch thick. Cut the rectangle into 6 squares (or cut round circles - my preference!). Place them on the pan.
  • Bake for 13–15 minutes, until the edges look golden. Cool on racks, serve warm.

0 comments:

Post a Comment