Saturday, April 6, 2013

Quinoa Salad

I have never eaten quinoa in any format other than a side dish (like rice)... by itself, unflavored.  For some reason I've been a little intimidated to try it any other way.  But when I ran across this recipe, I decided to give it a go.  Worst case scenario, it was gross... right? Thankfully that didn't happen.  While I did put a little too much lemon in it (I used a whole lemon instead of 1/2)... it came out delightful!  Even my omnivore friends would love this.  Wonderful as a side dish.  Besides, check out all the healthy yumminess in it!

Ingredients
  • 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
  • 1 carrot, diced
  • 1 celery stalk, diced
  • 6 cherry tomatoes, quartered
  • 1 scallion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 small cucumber, sliced
  • 1 ripe avocado, cubed
  • juice from 1/2 lemon
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
  • dash cayenne pepper
  • dash cumin
  • salt and pepper, to taste

Preparation
  • Boil quinoa in a rice cooker or saucepan with water until all water is absorbed. Set aside to cool.
  • Combine all chopped veggies and drained beans with lemon juice, oil, vinegar and spices.
  • Toss with quinoa, add salt and pepper, to taste and serve. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment