Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Carrot Soup


Never in my life did I think I'd see the day that I voluntarily made (and consumed) a carrot soup.  But I also thought that about carrot juice... and it's part of my daily diet now.


I'm seriously that girl that NEVER thought she'd be a vegan. Sometimes it's surreal that this is my life now and that I'm so passionate about it. :)  In a good way.

So this week I decided to try something different.  Part of my motivation in making this was that I already had the ingredients on hand... but also because I was curious how it would taste.  Honestly, I was pleasantly surprised.  My omnivore friends probably wouldn't be jumping at the bit to try this... but it's rather tasty.  Reminds me of a fall butternut squash bisque a little.  My MawMaw (and her sister-n-law) liked it... so that says a lot in my book (she normally hates almost all my vegan cooking).  Here's the recipe. :) - Christina

Ingredients:

  • 2-3 large carrots, chopped small
  • 1 onion, chopped small
  • 1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
  • 1 1/2 tsp curry powder
  • 1 3/4 cup vegetable broth
  • 1 14 ounce can coconut milk
  • sea salt, to taste

Preparation:

  • Simmer the carrots, onions, ginger and curry powder in vegetable broth for 20-25 minutes, until carrots are soft.
  • Allow to cool slightly, and then puree in blender, working in batches if ended.
  • Return to heat and stir in coconut milk until well combined.
  • Season generously with sea salt, to taste.
  • Serve hot, or, chill until cold and serve as a gourmet vegetarian and vegan appetizer soup. This carrot soup will thicken as it cools, so if serving this vegan carrot soup cold, you may want to add a bit extra liquid.

0 comments:

Post a Comment