Friday, December 28, 2012

Tofurkey Roast

Photo not mine - I didn't even think to take one.  But this is exactly what it looked like!
Thanksgiving isn't my favorite holiday for two simple reasons. First, it's centered around a dead bird.  The CENTERPIECE of the entire holiday is a turkey.  A poor innocent bird that was murdered for human consumption.  Poor thing.  Since becoming vegan I've become also become accutely aware of these things... and it annoys my family and friends to no end.  That's ok.  It's just who I am now.

Second, I can't eat 90% of what is fixed on Thanksgiving... and since I don't eat meat, no one is asking me to host (and cook) the entire meal.  So this means I typically end up going to someone else's house.  And THAT means, 90% of everything prepared has either milk, cheese or butter in it (even if the chef doesn't realize it).  My dairy allergy makes this quite a dilemma.  I hate hurting people's feelings, and I end up feeling extremely awkward when I have to turn down most of the meal (and oftentimes educate people that YES, margarine really is a dairy product... and NO, I can't just have a little taste unless we want to invite the paramedics to join us before a fun trip to the ER).

You see my challenge?  The same goes for Christmas.... and this year, we were scheduled to spend Christmas (and it's meal) with my uncle, aunt and three cousins in Baton Rouge.  We (MawMaw and I) were to bring the meat and they were providing the sides.  Due to a little hiccup with tornado warnings all day, the union didn't actually happen... but that actually had nothing to do with this post.  Let me get back on track... TOFURKEY.

I've been vegan for a little over a year and a half now and I've yet to try tofurkey.  I try to avoid processed foods whenever possible, and of course a "fake" turkey falls into this category.  But I purchased a Tofurkey Roast for this Thanksgiving.  The Tofurkey Roast is a pre-cooked vegetarian feast designed to be the veg-friendly centerpiece of your holiday meal.  It's made from a tofu-wheat protein blend, and actually has quite a remarkable turkey-like taste and texture.  It's stuffed with rice and whole wheat bread crumb stuffing that is quite yummy.

Overall, I was quite pleased.  Of course since I'm the only one who will eat it, I've now also experienced tons of Tofurkey left-overs... and I'm quickly growing tired of eating "faux-turkey".  But now I know... it's a wonderful alternative to the holiday classic.  Maybe this year some family members will try it with me. :) ~ Christina

0 comments:

Post a Comment