Saturday, November 17, 2012

Frog Festival - Rayne, La.

When in Rome... or Rayne for this particular post... right?!  That was my motto the second Saturday in November when I dragged a cousin out to the annual Rayne Frog Festival.  The main draw that evening was Percy Sledge... and what a crowd that drew!

The annual Frog Festival, celebrates the city’s role in promoting this unique Louisiana delicacy (you guessed it - frogs!!), is held the  second weekend in November.  Activities include frog racing and jumping contests, the Lions Club Frog Derby, a queen’s contest, parade, carnival and live music.  The first official Rayne Frog Festival was held in September 1973 under the sponsorship of the Rayne Chamber of Commerce.  I guess they are doing something right since this year was the 39th for the Frog Fest!

So I've been there... done it... and probably won't return.  I LOVE the various festivals my homestate has (literally all the time for anything and everything)... but frogs are frogs.  And quite honestly, I'm not sure it really gels with my vegan beliefs (actually, nothing about this event does).  Frog legs, frog on a stick, forcing frogs to jump in competition for human entertainment, etc.  No thank you!  ~ Christina

0 comments:

Post a Comment