Thursday, November 1, 2012

Freecycle.org


The Freecycle Network™ is made up of 5,082 groups with 9,267,398 members around the world. It's a grassroots and entirely nonprofit movement of people who are giving (and getting) stuff for free in their own towns. It's all about reuse and keeping good stuff out of landfills. Each local group is moderated by local volunteers. Membership is free.

While I’ve heard of this amazing site before, I’d never used it.  But with my pending move, I decided to give it a whirl.  I listed several Halloween costumes, along with several household items leftover from a garage sale I had.  The results?  Several very happy individuals!  The down side is that depending on what you post, the response can sometimes be overwhelming to deal with on email.  Plus, unless you can just leave the item(s) somewhere for easy pick up (like a front porch) you have to contact the other individual and coordinate a time and location (and that often times runs very late).  I’ll use the site again for sure… but will need to see how I manage my expectations a little better.  Check them out: www.freecycle.org.  A GREAT way to give back to Mother Earth and to each other.

0 comments:

Post a Comment